Cannes Film Festival 2019 is already making movie lovers from all around the world dream about who will win the coveted Palme d’Or this year. Now in its 72nd edition, the Festival will be held from May 14th to 25th in the renowned French city of cinema and the announced names bode great. Let’s have a look at the official Cannes Festival nominees and try to guess who will be the lucky one!
Palme d’Or Nominees
The Palme d’Or is certainly the best-known award of the Cannes Film Festival and concerns the main official section of the selection. It is a prestigious award that is recognized for the overall best film of the year. Here are the Cannes Film Festival 2019 nominees for the Palme d’Or.
The Dead Don’t Die is an American zombie comedy film, written and directed by Jim Jarmusch. Three police officers and a strange Scottish morgue expert must band together to defeat the zombies that have suddenly risen in a small peaceful town to terrorize its inhabitants.
- The Dead Don’t Die, Jim Jarmusch
- The Wild Goose Lake, Diao Yinan
- Young Ahmed, Jean-Pierre Dardenne and Luc Dardenne
- Oh Mercy!, Arnaud Desplechin
- Atlantique, Mati Diop
Pain and Glory is a Spanish drama film directed and written by Pedro Almodovar. It is about the story of a film director in his decline, Salvador Mallo, with some physical reencounters and some memories about his childhood, his emigration, his first love and his premature discovery of the cinema.
- Pain & Glory, Pedro Almodòvar
- Matthias & Maxime, Xavier Dolan
- Little Joe, Jessica Hausner
- Sorry We Missed You, Ken Loach
- Les Misérables, Ladj Ly
Il Traditore is an Italian film, directed by Marco Bellocchio. It narrates the story of Tommaso Buscetta, first a mafia member and later collaborator of justice, who was embroiled with the famous clan Cosa Nostra.
- Il traditore, Marco Bellocchio
- A Hidden Life, Terrence Malick
- Bacurau, Kleber Mendonça Filho and Juliano Dornelles
- The Whistlers, Corneliu Porumboiu
- Frankie, Ira Sachs
Parasite is a South Korean drama film, directed by Bong Joon-ho. It tells the story of Ki-taek and his unemployed family, that find themselves entangled in an unexpected incident with the Park family, with which they had a particular interest.
- Parasite, Bong Joon-ho
- Portrait Of A Lady On Fire, Céline Sciamma
- It Must Be Heaven, Elia Suleiman
- Sibyl, Justine Triet
Un Certain Regard Nominees
Un Certain Regard is the prize awarded under the second main official section of the selection and is given to films outside the competition for the Palme d’Or. Here are the Cannes Film Festival 2019 nominees for Un Certain Regard.
A Brother’s Love is a Canadian drama film, directed by Monia Chokri, but the plot is still unknown.
- A Brother’s Love, Monia Chokri
- Vida Invisivel, Karim Ainouz
- Dylda, Kantemir Balagov
- Jeanne, Bruno Dumont
- Adam, Maryam Touzani
- Libertè, Albert Serra
- Chambre 212, Christope Honoré
The Climb is an American comedy film, directed by Michael Covino. It is a look at the friendship between two guys that spans over many years.
- The Climb, Michael Covino
- Papicha, Mounia Meddour
- Port Authority, Danielle Lessovitz
- Liu Yu Tian, Zu Feng
- The Swallows of Kabul, Zabou Breitman and Eléa Gobé Mévellec
- A Sun That Never Sets, Olivier Laxe
- Zhuo Ren Mi Mi, Midi Z
Which film are you hoping to win the Palme d’Or and Un Certain Regard? We will find it out very soon, as soon as the curtains of the Cannes Film Festival 2019 will rise!
Get the Look
Photo © Pinterest
READ MORE: 2019 HOME DECOR TRENDS WE’RE OBSESSED WITH
DID YOU LIKE OUR POST? FEEL FREE TO PIN ALL THE IMAGES TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD OR TO PRINT IT AND USE ON YOUR MOOD BOARD. DON’T FORGET TO FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM. SUBSCRIBE HERE AND DON’T MISS A THING!